A couple of hours to go and I've just realised this is mobile broadband, the mobile networks go haywire at midnight on New Year's so no time to waste: Time for my last blog entry of 2009, the annual roundup of the good
that doesn't fit into any of the previous year-review categories. Although this year's will be pretty short and sweet because in my personal life things have been dominated by one major event:
- I was threatened with redundancy at work.
- I rather spectacularly turned this situation around, as it turns out this was just an empty threat aimed at making me change my working hours.
- Instead I chose to take voluntary redundancy, which ended up feeling like an immense relief.
- Since August I've been a "man of leisure" but have managed to write most of the first draft of a play I've had in mind for years, The Control Room.
- Although I've had bad writer's block for the last couple of months as I near the final few scenes but I'm quietly confident I'm nearing the end of that.
- In September I started going to the gym. And I'm still going, and even (mostly) enjoying it.
- I lost a stone
(14lbs, Americans and other aliens,) in the first month. I need to lose at least 2-3 stone more, but my weight's stayed steady since
; however my waist seems to be decreasing at a steady rate judging by my trousers, so I'm hoping the lack of weight loss is attributable to me putting on muscle
, not that there is, as yet, any actual muscle visible but give it time.
- I got given cake by Celia Imrie. I know!
- I joined Twitter and found myself addicted to telling everyone my HIGHLY IMPORTANT thoughts at all hours of the day and night.
- I got into another one of those weird online feuds a bit like with Chinderella last year. Honestly, I write lovely things about 90% of people I talk about on here, when is one of them going to google themselves and say hello? And offer me sex? I mean, if it's someone I fancy, not just someone I like in a strictly platonic way 'cause I might not be interested and refusal may cause offence.
- Speaking of which, I was going out with someone for a while.
- But it didn't work out.
- We've stayed friends though.
And I think that'll do as an annual roundup of what happened in me-world (heh, it's a bit like one of those photocopied letters people used to put in their Christmas cards, come to think of it. Like in the very first Simpsons
episode.) Hope you had a good 2009, and have a great 2010, puny humans!